Monday, January 22, 2007

Regular Update


Back from a busy week. This weekend I went to Jaffo and Tel Aviv, with a Friend. We saw the old city of Jaffo, which is really nice and then we saw the new city of Jaffo, which is really ugly. By the way, the guy on the photo is Misha Hagadol, the big Michael, he is also a volunteer of Ot Hakapara, in the background you can see the oldest building in Jaffo, dating back 4000 years, during the Egyptian reign.
On Friday it was a nice 30 degrees and sunshine and we were running around in t-shirts. Then on Saturday it suddenly started to rain, and not a little. Streets in Tel Aviv were flooded and we barely managed to get into the Central Bus Station without drowning. Then on the bus back from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, we had to discover, that the roof of the bus was leaking and water was dripping down everywhere. A hilarious picture, to see all the people riding on the bus, looking for new methods on how to sit, so that the water does not drip down their necks. We got to Jerusalem where it was even worse. The storm that had come, had torn down lots of street-signs and trees were flying around everywhere. I would have loved to take a picture, but did not want to risk my camera in the rain.
The next surprise came, when I got back to my house and found that the power was gone in the neighborhood. The fact, that I couldn’t turn on the light and not heat any food, did not bother me so much, it was more over the fact that my house is heated with electricity and I had to shiver under my blanket the whole night. And no, Israeli houses are not insulated.
Today at the Beit Franforter a man, who said I looked like the Intifada, greeted me. I have to admit that my beard has grown a little over the last couple of days, but did not expect that to be a problem for anyone.

No comments: